ArmA 3 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ArmA 3 Clan

UK Based

Latest imagesPortalHomeSearchRegisterGalleryLog in

Upgrading GFX card

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
[ABA]Mad-Mike
Server Admin
Server Admin
[ABA]Mad-Mike

Upgrading GFX card Empty
PostSubject: Upgrading GFX card   Upgrading GFX card Icon_minitimeTue 13 Oct 2009, 11:43

Hello lads im upgrading my gfx card soon and tht means i will need a new power supply, Ive got some gfx cards in mind in range of my budget..

1. Novatech GeForce GTX260 Sonic SLI 896MB DDR3 HDMI/Dual DVI PCI-Express = (what power supply will i need?).

2.SAPPHIRE 100279-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card = (what power supply will i need?).

I have links if needed, but if there is better ones please feel free to tell me about them.
Also my budget is £150 but might go higher to £200, nt sure yet depends wt u think.

Cheers for ur advice mike.
Back to top Go down
[ABA]robinson813
Sgt

Upgrading GFX card Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading GFX card   Upgrading GFX card Icon_minitimeWed 14 Oct 2009, 03:38

For the ATI card you need a 500W minimum PSU with 2 x 6 pin connectors for the card. 600W if you want crossfire and 4 x 6pin, not sure about the nvidea one, need to check the spec on the card.

I would go for something with more power if you want to be able to use more stuff off it in the future. You can get power supplies where you can add extra cables too it depending on your requirements I'll look and see what mine is later.

My brother is running a 4850 of a 550W PSU that came with his case without any problems.
Back to top Go down
[ABA]UK_Force
Admin
Admin
[ABA]UK_Force

Upgrading GFX card Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading GFX card   Upgrading GFX card Icon_minitimeWed 14 Oct 2009, 06:24

I'm running near enough one of these, highly recommend it, and is pretty much future proof, and willpower all you need

780W Hiper HPU-4M780 SLi, Quad SLi PC PSU

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/780W-Hiper-HPU-4M780-SLi-Quad-SLi-PC-PSU-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ230384027125QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH?hash=item35a3f545f5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

In my Opinion Hiper are the best PSU's to go for !!

Card wise - personally I would go with a BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC 896MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-072-BG&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

Back to top Go down
http://aba.acoyrangers.com/
[ABA]Mad-Mike
Server Admin
Server Admin
[ABA]Mad-Mike

Upgrading GFX card Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading GFX card   Upgrading GFX card Icon_minitimeWed 14 Oct 2009, 11:21

cheers for the info lads,

Force, what is the difference between the link u sent me..
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-072-BG&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927
and this one...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Graphics-Nvidia/NvidiaGTX260Series/Novatech/GTX260SONIC55NM216Core.html
{Im not that good when it comes to comps.)

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
[ABA]robinson813
Sgt

Upgrading GFX card Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading GFX card   Upgrading GFX card Icon_minitimeWed 14 Oct 2009, 17:41

I would have thought that the second one would be slightly better looking at the core clock and memory clock speeds as they look higher in the spec. Wait for an answer from UK_Force though as he might have another reason why the other is better.
Back to top Go down
[ABA]Mad-Mike
Server Admin
Server Admin
[ABA]Mad-Mike

Upgrading GFX card Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading GFX card   Upgrading GFX card Icon_minitimeWed 14 Oct 2009, 23:33

ok robinson nice one mate.
Back to top Go down
[ABA]UK_Force
Admin
Admin
[ABA]UK_Force

Upgrading GFX card Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading GFX card   Upgrading GFX card Icon_minitimeThu 15 Oct 2009, 01:02

There is no huge difference really, the core clock and memory clock speeds are minimum tbh.

Maybe its a personal thing, but I really like and trust "BFG", have always used them since the days of the 5 series AGP Cards and never had any problems, and they are really good for overclocking with minimum effort.

So really, its your call mate.
Back to top Go down
http://aba.acoyrangers.com/
[ABA]Mad-Mike
Server Admin
Server Admin
[ABA]Mad-Mike

Upgrading GFX card Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading GFX card   Upgrading GFX card Icon_minitimeThu 15 Oct 2009, 01:33

[ABA]UK_Force wrote:
There is no huge difference really, the core clock and memory clock speeds are minimum tbh.

Maybe its a personal thing, but I really like and trust "BFG", have always used them since the days of the 5 series AGP Cards and never had any problems, and they are really good for overclocking with minimum effort.

So really, its your call mate.

cheers mate, as i said though i know nothing about comps just how to play the games lol so you telling me that is new to me, fck nose wt overclocking is etc and BFG (battlefield giants) Shocked The feedback from the link u sent me sounds postive coming from you so i trust and probs get that one.

thanks for help force and robinson
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Upgrading GFX card Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading GFX card   Upgrading GFX card Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Upgrading GFX card
Page 1 of 1